Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Encouragement from Devotional

Matthew 9:9-13

As Jesus went on from there, He saw a man called Matthew, sitting in the tax collector's booth; and He said to him, "Follow Me!" And he got up and followed him. Then it happened that as Jesus was reclining at the table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were dining with Jesus and His disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they said to His disciples, "Why is your Teacher eating with the tax collectors and sinners?" By when Jesus heard this, He said, "It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick. But go and learn what this means: "I desire compassion, AND NOT SACRIFICE, for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

There's SO MUCH from this text to take away but I'll stick to only a couple encouraging points (includes points from other members as well..):

1.) Simple Calling - Sometimes we think too much. We "pray" too much. OR WHATEVER. We're so afraid to MOVE because we're afraid of what's to come. We're afraid of the unknown. Whenever we get a tugging at our hearts to do something, we hesitate and then we pray. Not to say that praying is a bad thing, but for me, I've realized that I sometimes use prayer as an excuse to not move, seeking what God wants me to do or where to go, when all He desires is for me to follow him. And that could mean law, medical field, journalism, etc. Just follow. He will meet you wherever you are, just like Matthew and it's as simple as "Follow Me."

2.) God Hears Everything - Angela pointed out that it was rather amusing to see the Pharisees complaining to the disciples and not Jesus...about how their teacher was eating with the sinners. Then Jesus responded. I can't imagine how LOUD it would be in that room. There were 12 disciples, Jesus, sinners and tax collectors, and the Pharisees...a lot of people in one room and yet, Jesus heard. No matter how crazy things get in our lives, no matter how many people are praying to God all at once, God hears you amongst all the noise and He will turn to you.

"I waited patiently for the Lord; and He inclined to me and heard my cry." Psalm 40:1

Praise the Lord for devotionals.

Fooks

No comments:

Post a Comment